Monday 25 October 2010

Interview with Kris Drever

Before I go to the Drever, McCusker, Woomble gig at Union Chapel on Novemeber 10th, I was excited to chat with Kris Drever about the tour, his other collaborations and some of his fondest music memories:


1. You’re currently in the middle of a tour at the moment (with Lau) aren’t you? How has that been going?

Yes. It’s been going very well…all sold out!

2. You released your second solo album ‘Mark The Hard Earth’ earlier this year. What has the response been like?

The response has been very good. I haven’t done much solo touring but it’s been great, lots of compliments.

3. Do you prefer writing and recording solo albums or collaborative ones?

I don’t prefer either. I like to keep producing lots of material….you need a diverse musical life and each (solo and collaborative work) help each other.

4. Do certain musicians lead you to write certain songs, or does it depend on how you’re feeling at that time?

Music making is made up of different mechanics and people have certain ways of doing things. There’s a knock on effect (from the other musicians to what is written). The knock on effect is mainly for the melody…but the lyrics come from the melody written.

5. I know Phil Selway recorded on a few tracks for ‘Before The Ruin’. How did that come about? Are Radiohead a big influence on your music? Will he playing any live dates with you in the near future?

I love Radiohead. Every teenager has a record that they have a special relationship towards and ‘The Bends’ was mine. He became involved through connections with John McCusker. Phil’s a fan of folk music and had been to a gig where John and I were playing somewhere in Oxfordshire…I doubt he’ll be touring with us, I’m sure he’s very busy with Radiohead at the moment!

6. I found out about your music from Idlewild…being a big fan of theirs for years. In terms of how other people follow the band, is it an even spread that you each bring fans so some find out from Roddy, some John and some yourself….?

When we first started I think that Roddy had the lion share of fans at the performance. There are certain Idlewild fans who are not too bothered about folk music though and so now it’s probably more evenly split. I guess you could say it’s half Roddy and half John and I together.

7. Does it feel unsettling or natural to go from one tour to the next with different musicians?

I need a day in between! I’ve done 2 gigs with different bands at the same festival before and it was a nightmare-a lot of material! It’s doable, but not ideal.

8. For any of our readers who aren’t familiar with your work, where would you point them first? What are you most proud of would you say?

Well I’m proud of all of it. Some people have trouble grasping music with no vocals-so not the instrumental stuff…in which case maybe start with the solo stuff, or go directly to a Lau gig.

9. What’s the next record you’re involved in? Will Drever, McCusker, Woomble be releasing another record?

We (Drever, McCusker, Woomble) will be doing another album. Lau are releasing an EP in the near future.

I’m now going to ask you the standard set of interview questions for our readers to get to know you a bit better:

10. Who are you listening to at the moment?

I’ve been listening to a T-Bone Burnett album: ‘Tooth of Crime’ recently.

11. What was the first gig you went to?

That would be The Boys of the Lough in Kirkwall, Orkney. It would have been about 1986.

12. Most memorable gig?

When Beck supported Radiohead in Edinburgh. He had the full puppet show going with the band playing and the puppets doing the same!

13. Perfect gig-if you could pick any band to play anywhere?

I would see…Tom Waits, with the band of his choice at The Bongo Club in Edinburgh.

14. If you could pick any musician to collaborate with, who would it be?

Mark Ribot. I love his guitar playing!





No comments:

Post a Comment